1-3/4 + cups all-purpose flour * (see step #5)
2 tablespoons sugar (divided)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1 egg, separated
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or use your favorite lightly floured baking stone; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and salt. Cut in butter cubes; set aside.
- In a small bowl, blend egg yolk, half-and-half, yogurt, vanilla, and orange zest. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients; stir until just moistened.
- Add dried cranberries, lightly stir once more.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead gently. * May need more flour depending on the stickiness of the dough.
- Shape dough into a ball; using floured hands flatten into 8-inch circle; place on baking sheet or stone.
- In a small dish, beat egg white. Brush the top of the dough circle with egg white; sprinkle the top with remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- Score the top of the circle with a sharp knife into 8 wedges.
- Bake at 400°F oven for 15 – 20 minutes. Cool slightly before serving with butter.
Makes 8 scones.