1 lb bulk Italian sausage
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 large red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch strips
1 (28 – 32 oz) can crushed tomatoes
32 oz vegetable broth or stock
2 teaspoons dried basil
6 – 8 oz uncooked orzo pasta
4 oz shredded asiago or parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large stock pot, cook sausage over medium heat; drain excess fat and return to pot.
- Add garlic, zucchini, squash, and bell pepper to browned sausage; sauté vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and dried basil to the meat and vegetable mixture; bring to a full boil.
- Add the uncooked pasta to the stock pot; stir, and simmer for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Ladle into bowls; top each bowl with about a tablespoon of shredded cheese.
Makes 10 cups.